Trump Says 'Draconian' Sanctions on Iran Remain on Table, Insists Hormuz Blockade Is Fully Effective as Iran Refutes Claim

US President Donald Trump delivers remarks during a meeting with cryptocurrency executives in the Roosevelt Room of the White House in Washington, DC, on August 19, 2026. (Photo | AFP)
Washington DC: US President Donald Trump indicated Wednesday that Washington retains access to severe sanctions against Iran, hinting that additional measures may still be on the way, even as he maintained claims that the Strait of Hormuz continues to function normally under what he called a highly successful US naval blockade.
Fielding a question on possible Iran sanctions while addressing a gathering of technology executives, Trump said the US had "very draconian" options available and that developments would determine what comes next.
Turning to the Strait of Hormuz, Trump argued that the US blockade had kept the waterway functioning despite regional tensions, insisting that ships were still passing through in large numbers even though, in his view, this fact was going unreported. Trump's claims comes amid coninuous reports about attacks on vessels in the strait leading to an instability in the global oil and gas supply.
Trump described the broader situation with Iran as currently favourable, leaving the door open to eventual renewed negotiations without committing to a timeframe. He restated his firm position against Iran obtaining nuclear weapons, arguing that such capability would inevitably be used and that the US would not permit it under any circumstances.
His comments come as tensions between Washington and Tehran persist over control and access to the Strait of Hormuz, a key artery for global oil shipments. Earlier reports suggested the US negotiating team had been directed to hold off on talks with Iran until Tehran demonstrated genuine willingness to reach a deal, with Trump confirming separately that no talks were presently scheduled.
Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf reiterated that Tehran would keep the Strait of Hormuz closed until Washington meets its commitments under a 14-point memorandum of understanding — including lifting the blockade, releasing frozen Iranian assets, and rolling back oil sanctions. The strait remains a central flashpoint in the standoff, with both governments continuing to offer starkly different accounts of its current status.









0 comments