New Delhi : CPI(M) General Secretary Sitaram Yechury writes to Prime Minister Narendra Modi listing attacks perpetrated by BJP in Tripura. The state government has failed its constitutional obligation of upholding law and order, and protecting democratic rights in Tripura. Instead, it is attempting to destroy the Opposition’s democratic right to hold peaceful protests in the region.
The attacks on dozens of CPI(M) offices including its headquarters were part of pre-meditated conspiracy. These attacks were perpetrated in the presence of police, read the lietter and urged PM to help bring the culprits to justice.
The List of Attacks
● People who participated in DYFI protest were attacked in Udaipur town as they raised slogans of “Where is my job?”.. Stones and bricks were pelted at CPI(M) Udaipur taluk committee and even Gamati district committee offices and parked vehicles vandalised.
● The district committee office in Bishalgad’s Sipoyjal was ransacked. Bulldozer was used to raze down house belonging to district committee member Partha Pratheem Majumdar.
● Miscreants set fire at homes of State Committee members Narayan Debh, Manik Bishwas and Gamati District Committee members Shrebas Debnath.
● The District Committee office in Tripura West too came under attack. Cars and two-wheelers parked in the vicinity were set on fire.
● The State Committee office in Agartala was looted and cars set ablaze. The attackers also vandalized the statue of Deshrath Deb. The attacks came shortly after CRPF troops were withdrawn.
● The Taluk Committee office in Sonamur was attacked and so was the house belonging to Local Committee Secretary Nani Paul.
● The local committee offices at Dukhhli, Gandhchara, Longthorai, Sandhir Bazar, Jogendra Nagar , Rabindra Nagar, Dhanpur and Mohan Baug, Bordvalli came under attack.
● There were also widespread attacks on homes of party followers.