Mumbai : Maharashtra Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray submitted his resignation to the Governor who asked him to officiate the post until fix-up of alternate arrangement. The resignation came after the Supreme Court turned down Theackeray’s plea to stay floor test and said he must prove majority.
In other developments from flurry of activities post Thackeray’s resignation :
· Devendra Fadnavis is set to return as Chief Minister of Maharashhra.
· Rebel head, Eknath Shinde will be Deputy Chief Minister.
· Eknath Shinde is now granted Z category security and has left his Goa hotel and headed to Mumbai along with BJP MLA Ravindra Chavan while rest of the rebel MLAs stay behind.
· According to sources, Shinde will meet Fadnavis and other state BJP leaders to negotiate portfolios for the new government and then visit the Governor.
· Thick security has been deployed at Sena founder Bal Thackeray’s Smriti Sthal(memorial) where Shinde is due to come and seek blessings before his entry into the new govt.
Backdrop :The Maha Vikas Aghadi coalition government lost its grip on power after a rebellion headed by Shiv Sena leader Eknath Shinde saw 50 MLAs - 40 from Shiv Sena - withdraw their support for Thackeray. Shinde’s sole demand - Quit current coalition and form with BJP.