30 July Friday

Oman to reimpose night-time movement ban from today

Anas YassinUpdated: Sunday Jun 20, 2021

Image:File Photo/Time of Oman

Manama : Oman will reimpose a night-time ban on movement and enforce the overnight closure of shops and public places starting June 20, state news agency ONA reported.

The restrictions will apply from 8 pm to 5 am until further notice, state media said, reporting a decision from the supreme committee combating coronavirus.

The night curfew will restrict the movement of people and vehicles. However, essential services will be allowed to remain open, and home-delivery services are exempted from the night curfew. All public places and commercial activities will be closed during the night curfew.

The move comes after a rapid rise in infections and deaths in the country. Daily new case numbers have been rising since April. Oman has recorded 2,42,723 cases of COVID-19 infection and 2,626 deaths so far, according to the latest health ministry figures. 213,880 people were cured from the pandemic. On Tuesday, the Sultanate registered 33 deaths, the highest daily toll since the outbreak of the pandemic. On the same day, it reported three confirmed cases of COVID-19 infected with mucormycosis, which is commonly known as 'black fungus'.

According to Reuters, cases in Oman have trended upwards since January, with a pronounced surge since a dip in early May. The Gulf state has had the region's slowest vaccine rollout due to procurement difficulties, Reuters said.

A number of hospitals in the country has exceeded the capacity allocated for COVID-19 patients in intensive care.

Meanwhile, the Supreme committee also said that the national immunization program will continue as planned.

It has also called on the relevant target groups to take the initiative to get vaccinated to protect themselves, their families and the rest of the society from COVID-19.


 Top