02 December Friday

House Catches Fire; Child With Disabilities Has Narrow Escape

Web Desk(Tvm)Updated: Tuesday Oct 4, 2022


Thamarassery : A young boy with disabilities had miraculous escape as his house became engulfed with fire from short circuit.  Fire broke out at sheeted house of Fathima living in  Ambayathottu Monday morning 8 am.   The flames completely destroyed the tarpa roofing, cots, TV, fan and children’s books.

Fathima and her grandchildren live in the shoddily two-room house. Rasia and Rahees were gone to school and Fatima was at Employment Guarantee Scheme work site.  7-year-old Mohamed Riyas was all alone when the fire occurred. A neighbour who noticed smoke bellowing, ran to the house and rescued the child.  Labourers hired for concreting the nearby house later doused the flames. Fathima’s husband had died 19 years ago. Her only daughter abandoned her as well as the grandchildren.

The family is sustained solely by Fatima’s income. Neighbours provided plastic sheeting in place of the burnt-out roof. Authorities at Thamarassery Govt High School bought the children uniforms and food and said they will provide books and other accessories in coming days.



 Top